OTHER TRAINING OPTIONS
The Far West GREAT Center currently provides various training options for professional development. Aside from the academies/institutes and activities listed on the Upcoming Trainings' page, we also approve professional development received from allowable online training, graduate credit and non-credit courses, and Teacher Training Through Video.
To access professional development from these other options, the courses (online and graduate) must be relevant to the adult education field. Please follow the links below for further information regarding other training options.
ONLINE TRAINING OPTIONS
Online training programs and courses are also available for your professional development needs. Below are some options that we have information on. If you find an online course that is not listed below, please contact us for approval of that course. Some courses available below are free of charge. For those with a cost, the Far West GREAT center will reimburse the tuition paid for all approved and completed courses. Documentation must be submitted before enrollment and upon completion of the course requirements.
AEPro: Adult Education Professional Development
AEPro was initiated in 2004 through a collaboration between the Center for Literacy Studies at the University of Tennessee, and the Ohio Literacy Resource Center at Kent State University. This exciting opportunity in online learning is funded, in part, by the National Institute for Literacy, LINCS project. The mission of AE Pro is to become a national network for online professional development for Adult Education.
Each AEPro course is designed to provide the educational experience of a 12-hour workshop. When all of the modules including the evaluation have been marked completed by the participant, a digital certificate of completion will be issued. This certificate will reflect the 12 hours of effort necessary to complete the modules. Upon receipt of an optional $10.00 fee, participants can also receive one (1) Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credit. Printed certificates can be made available upon request.
COST: Online courses are free of charge.
HEINLE CENGAGE Learning - ELT Advantage
As a leading provider of teacher education materials, Heinle, a part of Cengage Learning, is pleased to offer online Professional Development Courses for the English language teaching professional. Courses are taught online with lectures written by leading specialists in the field of ESL/ELT and provide valuable information that you can put to immediate use. Courses marked with a blue diamond are approved Adult Education online courses.
- 6-week courses, 2 lessons per week
- Practical assignments for each lesson
- Moderated discussion board
- 5-question quiz per lesson
- Pre - and post-program assessment
- Certificate of completion
COST: Courses are $99.00 each. Cost will be reimbursed upon documented completion.
ProLiteracy Worldwide is a nonprofit international literacy organization. It achieves its mission, championing the life-changing benefits of literacy for adults and their families, by sponsoring educational programs that help adults and their families acquire the literacy practices and skills they need to function more effectively in their daily lives. ProLiteracy America provides accreditation, advocacy, and technical assistance as well as program and professional development services.
Online courses are available in the following categories: ESL instruction, Engaging Students in Learning, Sustain Student Participation, Student Assessment, and Training Skills.
COST: Costs for courses range from $59.00 to $250.00. Cost will be reimbursed upon documented completion.
World Education offers online professional development opportunities that include self-paced tutorials or courses facilitated by prominent specialists in their field. Training is offered in the categories below:
- Adult Development
- Adult Multiple Intelligences
- Adult Student Persistence
- Authentic Contexts
- College Transitions
- ESOL and Technology
- General Educational Development (GED)
- Health Literacy
COST: Costs range from no charge to $249.00. Cost will be reimbursed upon documented completion.
Health Resources and Services Administration
Unified Health Communication 101: Addressing Health Literacy, Cultural Competency, and Limited English Proficiency is a free on-line learning experience that will help you
- improve your patient communication skills
- increase your awareness and knowledge of the three main factors that affect your communication with patients: health literacy, cultural competency and low English proficiency
- implement patient-centered communication practices that demonstrate cultural competency and appropriately address patients with limited health literacy and low English proficiency
You may choose to take the course for credit (CEU/CE, CHES, CME, CNE) or not for credit. The course has five modules and is estimated to take a total of 5 hours to complete. You may complete the course at your own pace.
COST: The course is free of charge.
Thinkfinity Literacy Network delivers free, top-quality online educational resources for literacy instruction and lifelong learning. The content on TLN strengthens literacy development, creativity and critical thinking skills for success in the 21st Century. Discover:
- More than 50 free online courses
- Exclusive research-based self assessment tools for literacy programs
- Lesson plans, interactive guides, activities and more
- Content created by the premier education experts and organizations
- Stimulating opportunities for professional development
COST: Online courses are free of charge.
News Readers Press
New Readers Press is a publishing division of ProLiteracy - the world's largest organization of adult basic education and literacy programs. For 40 years, we have been providing educators with the instructional tools they need to teach adult students and older teens the skills for functioning in the world today.
ProLiteracy champions the power of literacy to improve the lives of adults and their families, communities, and societies. We envision a world in which everyone can read, write, compute, and use technology to lead healthy, productive, and fulfilling lives.
COST: Costs range from no charge to $250.00. Cost will be reimbursed upon documented completion.
Back to Top
The Far West Project GREAT Center currently administers a tuition reimbursement program for allowable graduate credit and non-credit courses. Regional educators and administrators who complete the necessary documentation are eligible for this program. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Eligibility is limited to one course per semester, subject to availability of funds. Below are the required steps for acceptance into the reimbursement program.
- To apply for the tuition reimbursement program, you must complete the Tuition Reimbursement Application and submit it to the GREAT Center as soon as possible. Approval from your program administrator must be obtained prior to submittal. Please note that we cannot reimburse “Designated Tuition” or “Differential Tuition.”
- Once your application is approved, a Course Approval Form will be forwarded to you within one (1) week of the receipt of your application. You must receive this approval form from the GREAT Center before enrolling in the course. No tuition will be reimbursed without prior approval.
- Upon approval of your application, it is your responsibility to gain admission into the approved programs, register for courses, and meet all the deadlines associated with the approved course.
- Reimbursement will be processed for the tuition of completed coursework resulting in a minimum grade of C. A transcript or other verification is required to process the reimbursement. The reimbursement program does not include payments for fees or books.
- It is required that individuals receiving reimbursement for tuition be actively pursuing their Texas Teacher Adult Education Credential. One CEU is equivalent to 10 points of the 150 points needed to obtain the credential. Please see the State Initiatives Page for more information.
NOTE: In an attempt to assist as many adult educators as possible with this tuition reimbursement program, we are limiting reimbursement to the state tuition only. “Designated Tuition and “Differential Tuition” cannot be reimbursed.
Below are some suggestions for graduate programs in Adult Education. You may submit courses from other programs not listed here for evaluation and approval.
Tuition Reimbursement Applications, along with the course description/syllabus, must be completed, approved by your program director and submitted via fax or regular mail to:
Socorro I. S. D. - Community Services
Far West Project GREAT
ATTN: Maria J. Cesnik
313 S. Rio Vista Rd.
El Paso, Texas 79927
Fax: (915) 860-3728
Back to Top
TEACHER TRAINING THROUGH VIDEO
The Far West GREAT Center has training videos available for checking out. Teacher Training Through Video: ESL Techniques is a series of interactive teaching videos consisting of a videotaped demonstration of a specific technique or strategy and a guiding workbook. The materials reflect the key elements in teacher training, i.e., presentation of goals and principles of a technique, multiple models of the technique, practicing the technique, transference of the skills to the classroom, and flexibility of training time. The following titles are available as training options:
Each training module provides 3-6 hours of professional development. For more detailed information regarding this training option, please follow this link.
To request a video training, please list your name, program you work for, and the video title that you would like to check out. Email the information to email@example.com to arrange a pick up day and time.
Back to Top
Forward questions, comments and suggestions regarding this web site to the Web Administrator. Please click here to evaluate this web site.